Tuesday 8 July 2014

A lesson learnt

I reached the edge of the shortcut just as the last glimmer of light left the sky. I stifled a yawn and wished that I was in my cosy bed sleeping like a log. I had just came back from Sue's house.

Sue was my best friend in school and she was a fun and amiable person. She invited me to come to her house to play as well as to bake a scrumptious log cake.

By the time I left her house,  exhaustion was seeping through my body. I had decided to take the shortcut that led to my home. Although Mum gave me warnings countless times never to take the shortcut as there were wild dogs that attacked people, I turned a deaf ear.

The shortcut was a path through a big patch of grassland. I tiptoed through out the path as I knew that dog's ears are very sensitive and could hear even very soft sounds.

However, even taking such precautions, I heard a low growl coming from my right. Taking a step backwards, I had accidentally stepped on a branch that appeared out of nowhere.

The surrounding air became very still, almost eerie. I shuddered. My hands turned clammy. I quickened my pace. Soon enough, I was running for my life! The growl turned to menacing barking as a pack of wild dogs appeared before me. They bored their fangs.

Being the slowest sprinter in my class, the dogs could easily catch up with me - one of them even tore of the flesh off my ankle!

I grimaced in pain as I ran even faster - even faster than before. Nothing was in my mind. I only knew that I had to escape. Something bright suddenly caught my eye. It was the bright lights of the coffee shop at the other side of the short cut!  Knowing it was my only hope to escape death, I made a beeline for my safety area - the coffee shop. I dashed recklessly across the road and turned around to face my attackers.

However there was nothing in sight. Did they disappear into thin air? I wanted to know, but I did not dare to go back again. All that remained of that harrowing incident was an excruciating bleeding ankle.

Tears began to stream down my face as I panted to my house. When I got home, I embraced my parents tightly, telling them what had happened. They bandaged my ankle before bringing me to the clinic for a jab and calling the National Environmental Agency ( NEA ).

I truly deserved what had happened to me. If I had listened to my Mum's advice, I would not be hurt or even be attacked by dogs. I had surely learnt my lesson the hard way.

8 comments: